Wednesday 13 February 2013

Handmade bag birthday present - tree of life

So my latest labour of love is a birthday gift for my mum. She's a total hippy; loves anything to do with nature, caring about our plant and animals, and wants World Peace!

It's the first time i'd made a bag and was definitely a learning curve, although i'm pleased with the end result. It's a strong little bag too, although my sewing machine went through a lot of punishment to get to the end!

I harvested a pair of my old jeans for the body of the bag, and spent most of the time patchworking and embroidering the main image. I used leftover fabrics and old zips for the rest.



I love the underside of the strap and I feel like I need to make some clothing with the same fabric - it looks gorgeous against the denim!
The main embroidered part of the bag. I patchworked a selection of fabrics for the background and then cut out the body of the tree from felt (below). I then embroidered over the top for more detail.
The felt tree cut out to gauge size and positioning of the background.


The main body of the bag was mostly made from patchwork denim.
The inside of the bag. I used more of that lovely fabric to make a small pocket and mobile phone pocket. I used old saved zips for both the pocket and main bag.



I hope my mum likes it! I think I want one for myself now...!



No comments:

Post a Comment